Old August 27th 03, 03:36 PM
Dennis O'Connor

Well worth the upgrade... I would do it again in a heartbeat (until
something better comes along!!!) It has lots more stuff in the database...
And lots of bells and whistles that I don't use but someone else might...
If feasible, keep the 195 for the other yoke...
If someone's cash flow is really tight, then stick with a used/trade-in
195... It's the next best thing to a 196 in a portable...

A few weeks back the 195 on the copilot yoke was very handy when we got
snookered between two lines of CB going up to 60,000+ feet, out over Lake
Erie near Cleveland (ahh, those lovely Great Lakes weather machines, and
don't believe everything the nice man at atc tells you)... I was busy
flying in turbulence and rain and looking for the GulfstreamV that I was to
tuck in behind on final, and the copilot (it was really nice that there was
one) was able to call the intersections and the turn onto final with the 195
on his yoke allowing me to keep eyes out of the cockpit.. Made it almost a
routine landing on a crosswind runway with wind at 24 gusting to 34...

Denny
"jfee" wrote in message
Dennis, I'm curious to know how you like the 196 vs 195. I have a 195

and
swear by it! I was looking at the 196, but not sure what features it has
to justify 'trading up' (aviation usage only. Dont' care about ground /

auto
usage). I'd appreciate your comments.

-Jonathan

"Dennis O'Connor" wrote in message
Interesting...
I have to note parenthetically that I have both the 195 and 196 in the
cockpit... That I fly all over the eastern USA with these units, and
sometimes in really nasty weather where they are invaluable, and rarely

have
I noted a degraded EPE, and it was both units the few times it has
happened - which was maybe three times over a number of years... I do

use
windshield mounted antennas, not the stub antennas... I also have never
noticed any deviation between what the 196 is calling my position and

what
the localizer/DME is showing on an instrument approach, and I use the

GPS
on
all instrument approaches as a backup to the primary nav... YMMV

Denny

Although the 196 is great, I've recently started to have second
thoughts... ...