Old January 19th 05, 01:01 AM
Roger

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 12:21:57 -0600, Jim Carriere
wrote:

Hello group,
Who here has worked with MEK and other wonderful solvents? Where did
you get your respirator gear from, and what models? The filter ones
available in the chain "hardware" stores have fairly vague
specifications on the labels: usually suitable for aromatics,
solvents, etc. This is not something I wish to leave up to chance.
Do I need to fork over the big bucks on this one and pay for a forced
air system?

When I put 3 coats of 2-part epoxy paint on the floor of my shop I
didn't have the equipment I have now.

Sooo... I took a standard face shield, one large garbage bag, two
lengths of the cheap 1 1/4 or 1 1/2 bilge (sump pump hose) and a
squirrel cage fan I had on hand.

I put the face shield inside the garbage bag, taped it to the inside
of the bag, cut out the bag for the face plate,

I taped the corrugated hose in position on my back with one piece of
duct tape around my waist and another just under my arms. This left
the hose open at the back of my neck and blowing up and over the top.

The fumes were so strong you would have needed a full face mast any
way.

Using this set up I was able to give the floor three coats of epoxy.
It did take several garbage bags as they are not the most sturdy
things in the world, but I did have fresh, clean, COLD air.

Total cost was less than $10 as I had the face shield on hand.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com
Thanks in advance.