Old October 23rd 03, 04:39 AM
Vygg

Richard Brooks wrote:

Vygg wrote:

Richard Brooks wrote:

Further to my other post I include the following URL that may put
some light on the situation.

http://f-111.net/t_no_E.htm

There are a couple of fuel dumping measures taken but before an
impending crash but the TV and newspaper story I remember didn't
have a crash.

Richard.

Wow! I'd sent an email to the webmaster of that site a couple of
years ago about my rambling musings over tail numbers when I was
stationed there, but never bothered to check the site. I'm

surprised that my words are now posted there. Guess I should check in
once and awhile.

Couldn't find anything specific to fuel dumping, but I can really only
speak to the years that I was there. I don't doubt that it may have
happened at some time prior to '83. I'm not sure when the prohibition
went into effect. Even so, I'm sure that procedures would have
required that it occur at an altitude well above anything that would
have
endangered any thatched roofs. ;-)

It was understood by those who understand that it was nothing to worry
about. After all, it had happened and no thatched roofs had set alight so
worry over but there were the "what if's" out there and the press love it as
you know. I saw it on tv (Central News, office down in Abingdon IIRC) but
how much stuff can you keep ?

I lived on the economy (in Northants) while there and the Oxford Mail
was a bit outside my budget. I was paid in dollars and pretty much
lived
by the exchange rate. The year that the Iron Maiden took on King
Arthur
I was able to afford a subscription to the Buckingham paper (the title
escapes me), but it didn't seem to have much interest in anything
other than the market price of rapeseed, so I let it go. The Banbury
paper was free (and, therefore, within my budget).

Was it a standard 'freebie' with only the first few pages worth a quick
browse and the rest being about the price of houses and cars ?

Yep, that's the paper alright. The CNDers pretty much did most of the
"reporting" for it. It came in handy though for keeping informed about
what was playing at the cinema and who was performing at The
Boathouse(?) dinner theater.

The Oxford Mail archives only go back a few years but I know where I could
find out but it's not that important. The Oxford library archives go right
back to the start of the last century but think of all those years to guess
at!

I know for a fact that I kept at least one of the Banbury papers with
the notorious "world's largest tactical nukes" photos on the front
page. I'm just a bit loathe to crawl up into the attic and dig
through those boxes to find it in this heat (I live in Arizona, now).

You're not the very same person whom I was in contact with over the 'stealth
F-111' at Upper Heyford are you,

I believe so. I remember a conversation here some time back about the
"stealth fighter" that we used to show at the base open house.

Vygg

as I have those slides on the shelf but
between being in contact and bringing those slides from Oxford, my PSU
regulator died (going high) taking all circuit boards including hard drives
with it so all information is sitting dormant.

I have photos from that last airshow which was a bit thin on aircraft but it
was great to be there. One day soon I'll be throwing those out also.
Reduce, reduce, reduce as you can't bury it with you!

Richard.