Old May 2nd 05, 04:24 AM
Javier Henderson

" writes:

Want to combine my hobbies as I acquire a C-172 - has anyone mounted a
ham radio in their bird and wired it through the comm panel?

Yes, installed it myself, signed off by my A&P, who is a frequent
contributor to this group. I wired it as COM3 on my audio panel (a
King KMA28), works great. I installed an Icom IC207H, which covers
both 2m and 70cm, and I use a Comant commercial VHF antenna for 2m (it
covers 136 MHz to 174 MHz), and an aviation radiotelephone antenna for
70cm (it covers 450 MHz to 500 MHz, as I recall). Both are available
from the usual suspects (I got mine at Chief Aircraft, I think).

Problems?

None.

Successes?

Many. From 8500', the range with 50W is amazing.

-jav, w6vms