Old March 15th 18, 12:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default HVLP Paint Sprayer Recommendations

On Thursday, March 15, 2018 at 12:07:29 AM UTC-4, LongJourney wrote:
On Wednesday, March 14, 2018 at 7:46:13 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Tuesday, March 13, 2018 at 11:53:31 PM UTC-4, LongJourney wrote:
Has anyone used an HVLP sprayer to refinish a wood and fabric aircraft? If so, did you get a better finish? Did it save a significant amount of paint? Was it worth using vs. a regular paint spray gun?

Thanks,

Jeff

I have been using a turbine HVLVP system for almost 10 years to spray dope.
It saves about 20% in material and reduces over spray that land in the shop and out the window by a lot. The system I use is from TIP. Pattern is big which helps speed things up. Warm air speeds drying and that requires retarder in last coats sometimes.
This does not work as well for me with AU due to quicker drying reducing flow out. Possibly hot weather reducer would help. For that I use HVLP gun fed from compressor.
FWIW
UH

Thanks for the reply. What is TIP?

Jeff

Look up TP Tools for HVLP turbine system we have. Likely well outside your budget range.
If you are doing the Polyfiber system the gun isn't all that important. That stuff sprays pretty easily.
We have about 80 feet of copper pipe for a cooling manifold off our compressor, followed by a 6 foot drip leg to separate water, then a filter. Gets out water well enough to spray polyester which is the most sensitive to moisture.
UH