Old June 9th 04, 11:40 PM
tuno

"Bill Daniels" wrote in message news:EDHxc.2200$2i5.1829@attbi_s52...

KALM (White Sands Regional) has appropriate cutouts in the restricted area
for approaches and departures. If this doesn't show on your See You maps,
they are in error.

Okay, I'll check out the Albuquerque sectional when I get my hands on
it this weekend.

As for crossing the White Sands Missile Range restricted area 5107B -
forgedabouddit. The extension on the north is sometimes open as is the
McGregor firing range - check with flight service. You can fly around the
north end but the shortest distance from Las Cruces to Alamorgordo is by
trailer on US70.

Ouch. My ground crew will go that route -- I will not!

Once there, though, the soaring is superb. Contact the White Sands Soaring
Association for more details.

I've sent them an e-mail yesterday but nothing back yet.

BTW, are you based in SW New Mexico?

Nope -- southern Arizona.

Wouldn't my best route be south around the R-5107s, coming from just
north of El Paso? My tentative route from Arizona stays within
shouting distance of I-10 as far as Deming.

I just flew a similar route from El Tiro to El Paso last Saturday
(planned under the pseudonym Bartman to protect the guilty). In
mid-July I want to do a similar flight that finishes at Alamogordo
(or, conditions permitting, Sierra Blanca Regional, northeast of
Ruidoso, where I have family).

-ted