Old August 27th 10, 10:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

Default open design practices and homebuilts.

wrote

IMHO there should be NO MORE "open source" aircraft projects, until
somebody gets around to implementing a public, vendor-neutral RCS
(revision control system) for aircraft development, so that _any_
designer can submit and begin new projects and contribute to those of
friends and peers.

This is something that perhaps the EAA could sponsor?

I doubt there is enough interest to make it worth EAA's while, or anyone
else.

If you are designing your own airplane, you probably (or most do) want to do
a clean sheet design. If you know enough to be attempting your own design,
then you probably don't need to slow yourself down trying to adapt someone
else's details. You just do it yourself.

Plus, many that are designing and building their own are not capable, or
don't desire to put it all down in a computer. What does that really gain
them? A couple good shop sketches, and start building, is their most likely
course of action. If they do find the need to vary the design to
accommodate some needed change, why would they want to take the time to go
put the change into the computer. Only someone who is planning to publish
the design, or otherwise go into business would do that, and they sure are
not going to be interested in publishing the changes, and giving the whole
thing away for free!

I won't call you and others like you cheap *******s (g) because I don't know
you. That is kinda' tongue in cheek, but I think the basic idea conveyed is
correct. You just will not find a lot of people giving away something as
valuable as an airplane plan for free, when they could be selling it.

If you want to buy plans, there are boatloads of people willing to sell them
to you for a couple hundred per pop. Buy a few plans and change and scale
them like you need them to be, for your needs.

Sorry I'm not more optimistic, and I really don't intend to offend. That
just is the way I see it.
--
Jim in NC