Old July 6th 17, 07:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS

Default Flying during a Solar Eclipse

On Thursday, July 6, 2017 at 1:59:24 PM UTC-4, AS wrote:
Ok - here is a question for the FAR experts:
On August 21, there will be a total solar eclipse occurring - among other places - over South Carolina. The duration of the total eclipse is around 2min 35 seconds.
Is this considered night time? Can I fly a glider under VFR-daytime rules during this time?

Uli
'AS'

If it turns out to be a clear day but illegal to fly, I invite y'all to come to KSPA's D-Hangar. It has so many holes in the roof acting as pin hole cameras, we should be able to follow an image of the eclipse on the hangar-floor without messing up ones eyes. ;-)

Uli
'AS'