Old April 1st 04, 05:35 PM

I concur. NY approach seems to prefer the "get their attention, then say
your request" approach. I usually call up with "NY approach, Skyhawk XXX,
request". If they're really jacked in, they'll often just say, "Skyhawk XXX
squawk YYYY and say request" meaning they know you're VFR, they know you
want flight following, now they want the details. During the afternoon
rush, forget it, they'll often just broadcast "no more VFRs please".

It was morbidly entertaining during the NY ADIZ days when all VFR was
essentially forced to get flight following, and many students were talking
to NY approach for the first time. Talk about some painful callups.

mark

"Peter R." wrote in message
Newps ) wrote:

Keep it to one transmission.

This just goes to show you that different ATC facilities and perhaps even
different controllers within the facility have their preferences.

In the Northeast US, I often hear the VFR one transmission style answered
with the "Calling aircraft, say again." In my experience, this ties up
the frequency much longer than the two transmission style of contacting

ATC
with tail ID, VFR, then waiting for the acknowledgement to continue the
rest of the request.

--
Peter R.

News==----