Old October 25th 06, 09:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ross Richardson[_2_]

Default Solar storms spell trouble for GPS

Jim Macklin wrote:
The Earth is rotating and orbiting within a strong magnetic
field of the Sun, [not to mention the whole Universe].

The magnetic pole is not located on the axis and as a result
the variation wanders. It appears that the Earth's magnetic
field is electromagnetic and AC.

The Earth doesn't physically flip over, the phase angle
flips.

"Ross Richardson" wrote in message
| Larry Dighera wrote:
| On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 06:17:38 -0500, "Jim Macklin"
| wrote in
| :
|

| BFD, All those radios are called Aids to navigation for
| reason, they are conveniences.
|

| Were you aware of the design flaw in GPS as implemented?
I just
| thought it might be a good idea to provide the
information to those
| weren't.
|
| Of course, this issue makes no mention of solar mass
ejections, that
| can potentially knock out any satellite.
|
| It appears that we are (finally?) seeing some
technological innovation
| tickling down to the GA fleet, but I'm becoming uneasy
with the
| apparent lack of robustness engineered in these early
systems.

| CAL found Paris with just a compass and a chart.
|
| Yes. It was an Earth Inductor Compass*. I've never
seen one of those
| in any aircraft in which I've flown, let alone piloted.
|

| * http://oldbeacon.com/beacon/earth_inductor_compass.htm
|

| Did anybody see NOVA on PBS last night. The earth is
overdue for a pole
| reversal. According to the program, we are already seeing
issues towards
| that. Interesting program.
|
| --
|
| Regards, Ross
| C-172F 180HP
| KSWI

What this program stated and I had read it elsewhere, is the magnetic
core within the earth had flipped every 200K to 700K years. Geologist
know how to figure this out from core samples. They said the last one
was over 700K years ago. The north magnetic pole (as we know it) flips
to the south pole.

--

Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP