Old October 16th 18, 12:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Towrope tensions....Part II

On Monday, October 15, 2018 at 12:04:33 PM UTC-7, Retting wrote:
Agree, but if I can get support for a reasonable starting point, a consensus, then I can work it from there.

The answer depends on the strength of the weak links you intend to use. In fact, consistent with most tow release STCs, you should have a placard in the towplane with the weak link limit listed (our does). Typically the installation should be good for 150% of the design load (listed weak link strength). The design load for the installation needs to be considered for all possible orientations. If the rope/weak link is stronger than the installation, the release may depart the aircraft instead of breaking the weak link.

As noted previously:

Try AC43.13-2B Chapter 8 rather than do your own guessing