Old August 10th 03, 09:31 PM
C J Campbell

"Dan Luke" wrote in message
| "C J Campbell" wrote:
| True. And if frogs had wings, no doubt other amazing things would
happen.

| You are obviously unaware of the giant flying vampire toad of Florida.
:-)

| Oh, ****. Florida is only 20 miles away! First it was Formosan termites
from
| New Orleans, now this. I'm surrounded.
| --

The giant flying vampire toad (actually a species of frog -- and the only
toothed frog at that) preys only on golfers. It weighs about 20 pounds and
hides in trees, waiting for golfers to pass underneath. Then it glides down
on a slimy, leathery membrane stretched between its legs, fastens its two,
hollow teeth into the golfer's neck, and sucks his blood. Golfers have
started avoiding golf courses where this toad lives, so the Federal
government declared the toad an endangered species and ordered Florida to
select golfers at random in order to feed the vampires. Florida sued, and
the Circuit Court of Appeals ruled that the Endangered Species Act was not
intended to protect species that deserved to be extinct. Last I heard, the
Supreme Court had ordered that the case be re-heard in another Circuit where
the judges did not play golf in Florida.