Old July 17th 03, 08:56 AM
Ken Duffey

Richard Brooks wrote:

"Jerry" wrote in message

Actually it makes sense to me. The roads around Fairford are basically a
bleedin' rabbit warren, anything that eases things up is okay with me.
It's the show organisers my ire is reserved for, they manage to make a
clusterf**k of the parking arrangements year on year. Actually it's all
academic to me, I rarely bother with the show any more, there doesn't
tend to be enough variety in participants to make it worth the headache
of attending, unlike the late 80's and early 90's . . . but I did make
the trip last year, and the parking was still a mess.

[snipped]

But I will as always be going to the RIAT again this year although I
know sever people who are staying away because of the increased costs
again £27.95 in advance or £33 on the day, tis a bit steep me thinks.

Jerry

There is at least one country estate on the north western side that hires
out its front lawn for people to park the night before and there's nothing
like crashing out in a car after strolling to the local pub for a pint of
wallop.

Go the night before, leave the car and walk a few miles.

Richard.

For the past five years I have given up driving to Fairford on the public days.

A much better plan is to drive to Swindon, park the car and travel by the
shuttle bus service provided by the local Thamedown council.

The bus has its own route through the surrounding villages - where
(non-resident) private cars are not allowed - and thereby avoids all the
traffic jams.

It's quite a good feeling sitting on the top of a double-decker bus looking
down smugly on all the punters sat in their cars in a jam as you turn off on
your own 'private' route to Fairford.

This is why parking on the roads around Fairford is banned for the duration of
the tattoo - imagine if we were all allowed to park where we liked - the result
would be absolute chaos. Not to mention blocking the roads for any emergency
vehicles that need to gain entry/exit from Fairford.

I must admit to having a slight advantage - in that I work in Swindon - and can
use my company's car park on Saturday & Sunday, before getting the shuttle bus.

But car parking in Swindon is not that bad - especially on the Sunday.

Highly recommended.

Ken Duffey - Flanker Freak & Russian Aviation Enthusiast
Flankers Website - http://www.flankers.co.uk/
Genuine E-mailers - Replace sukhoi with flanker