Old July 1st 03, 06:54 PM
Jim Fisher

"Richard Kaplan" wrote in message

"Jim Fisher" wrote in message
. ..

Just recently I saw a "stormscope" in a magazine devoted to Park and
Recreation Department people. It's designed to allow Park and Rec

directors
to close/open outdoor events when storms get close by.

Not even close in performance to an aviation panel-mount Stormscope or
Strikefinder.

I would probably agree. But from where does this information come? What's
the difference . . . other than up to fourteen-thousand dollars?

I performed a search for the gadget that I originally mentioned and cannot
find it. It had a LCD screen that gave you range and direction of the
strike within something like 60 miles. The only one I could find out there
was this piece of crap that gives distance only:
http://www.bryanglobalservices.com/skyscan.html

So, if this is what you are comparing a "real" Stormscope to then I would
have to agree.

But this other gadget (that I cannot find on the Web) was much niftier. I
imagine that some enterprising aviation enthusiast cold very easily take the
digital range/direction output from this gadget and overlay that information
on a palm computer aviation map and, whalla!, a Strikefinder that rivals the
"performance" of the "real" thing at literally pennies on the dollar.

Y'all send me a dollar or two when you invent it and become wealthy, okay?

--
Jim Fisher