Old April 7th 08, 04:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,soc.history.war.world-war-ii,rec.aviation.restoration
Cubdriver[_2_]

Default Brewster Buffalo News

The most striking part about those Finnish photographs of BW-372 is
how much the paint deteriorated since it was lifted out of the water.
There's a photo of the "Farting Elk" squadron logo, part of which was
greased, part not, and the difference is amazing. It's not clear
whether the deterioration took place in Ireland, where the plane was
hidden for three years until a deal was struck to swap it to
Pensacola, or at Pensacola itself, where the hurricane damage put
BW-372 to the bottom of the priority list. If at Pensacola, then
somebody ought to take the curator out and whip him. By the evidence,
the plane was in astonishing condition when it was recovered ten years
ago, and it is badly faded today. I'm delighted the Finns have got it,
and I hope they will be allowed to keep it forever, perhaps with the
occasional loan back to Pensacola so we Yanks can see it.

Blue skies! -- Dan Ford

Claire Chennault and His American Volunteers, 1941-1942
new from HarperCollins www.FlyingTigersBook.com