Old April 8th 08, 09:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,soc.history.war.world-war-ii,rec.aviation.restoration
Bill Shatzer

Default Brewster Buffalo News

John wrote:

One thing I would like to know for sure. I remember hearing or
reading that after they arrived in 1940 the Finns replaced the USN
hard rubber tailwheel for a pneumatic tire with a wheel from a common
Finnish built wheelbarrow! Is that true or urban legend?

That would be one hell of an over-engineered wheelbarrow tire!

I can't imagine any wheelbarrow tire designed to withstand the impact of
two-and-one-half or more tons of aircraft hitting the tarmac at 75 mph.

Wheelbarrow tires are designed to support a couple hundred pounds or so
at speeds not exceeding a fast walk.

Cheers,