Old July 27th 09, 06:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

Default Got Big Thermals?

On Jul 27, 10:42*am, Bob D wrote:
On Jul 27, 10:11*am, Frank Whiteley wrote:

On Jul 27, 8:39*am, Bob D wrote:

Our weather in central Texas is the best it's been in 10 years. I can
only hope it'll hold up through the week of the upcoming Region 10
South Soaring Championship (Aug 9-15th).

For the last 5 weeks we've had a number of members with Greater
Houston Soaring and Soaring Club of Houston (the contest sponsors)
earn their Gold and Diamond distance badges. This past Saturday Ken
Sorenson of SCOH put up an 800K-plus flight on the U.S. OLC. Yesterday
thermals around our club pushed up over 6,000ASL (our field elevation
is 125ASL). If this pattern holds up (and there's no reason to think
otherwise) we're going to have a heck of a contest.

Come on down and enjoy a first-class airport, a lot of hospitality,
and hopefully some serious racing conditions. Learn more atwww.houstonsoaring.org/2009R10. My contact info is on the site.

Just two weeks to go... I can't wait!

Bob DeLeon
Region 10 Contest Manager

Clearly you are getting our Colorado weather;^(

Good luck with the contest.

Frank Whiteley

Thanks Frank. While you're at it... send us your Colorado
temperatures. There are days lately when the CU bottoms start glowing
orange around 4:00P

This season has been more like Wisconsin or Minnesota. Tomorrow's
high is forecast to be 74F and Dr Jack's is so blue, like the local
pilots. The grass is green though. I spent over 16 hours on the
tractor during our recent CAP glider academy mowing the winch area and
runways, and that was after other members had mowed for many hours.

Frank