Thread: Stowing water?
View Single Post
Old May 13th 18, 02:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Stowing water?

On Sunday, May 13, 2018 at 9:25:58 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On Sunday, May 13, 2018 at 9:08:04 AM UTC-4, wrote:
I fly with two 70 oz CamelBaks stuffed behind the headrest on the "luggage shelf." I added some length to the drinking tubes and the nozzles are velcroed to the end of my boom microphone. That way, I don't lose them in the cockpit or sit on them and they are always just a couple of inches from my thirsty lips.

I concur with a Camelbak on the luggage shelf or behind the seat. My modification is that I have silvery fabric cover for the drinking tube. Without it, if I don't drink for a while, the water in the tube heats up from the sun and a gulp of warm water is quite distasteful. The cloth tube cover keeps the water left in the tube reasonably cool and palatable. Also, I have a pouch made of insulated fabric in which I put the water bladder. I find that the plastic tubs for soft-spread margarine are good forms to make ice "hockey pucks" that are just small enough to fit into the Camelbak and provide cooling that outlasts regular cubes. Part of my takeoff checklist is to make sure that the water tube is clipped to my harness and acceptable. It is extremely difficult to find the tube in flight.

I mean "accessible", not "acceptable"