Old May 24th 18, 06:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard McLean[_2_]

Default Landing with reduced airbrake

On Thursday, 24 May 2018 08:50:42 UTC+8, wrote:
Less spoilers near touchdown should cause a lower sink rate and lower the chance of a bad attitude tail strike breaking something.

But doing the last half of final aiming for the end of the runway with a small spoiler setting puts you in a low energy situation. With a long runway, this could be fixed by moving the aim point down the runway and expecting the student to get there.

As far as training is concerned, I wonder if this might miss the goal of landing with the right sight picture, right touchdown attitude, in a short field, or over a tree line. That seems a lot of forced relearning later in trade for saving the trainer.

Maybe this isn't the right trainer to use first to teach landing?

We teach initial landings in the ASK21 & now the DG-1001 (nosewheel version) which has replaced the SZD-50 Puchacz. Here in Oz we teach "1/2 to 2/3 airbrake on final" .. the problems only come into play when the student mishandles the approach & overshoots, then corrects by pulling full brake & consequently over-rotating ... all I'm suggesting is that in this specific scenario we limit the amount of airbrake used to help avoid the over-rotation & instead accept the overshoot. The DG is fine otherwise, it just lands a little hot as described in the previous posts, and it has a heavy tail.