Old November 26th 16, 04:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

Default Cobra trailer tail lights replacement?

On Wednesday, November 23, 2016 at 3:21:47 PM UTC-8, bumper wrote:
I installed LED tail lights on and a 3rd brake light at the top of the fin in 2003.

I've had better luck buying on Amazon and eBay than Harbor Freight - last trailer lights from them, 3 years ago, started dying within the first year.. At least on Amazon you can read the reviews.

Being from CA (years ago) I was always terrified that some uninsured and otherwise irresponsible person would torpedo my trailer from behind - adding a bright 3rd brake light surely helps.

For the 3rd brake light I used a simple 12 volt relay for the "logic". Left brake light operates the relay coil, right brake light provides power the normally open relay contact, contact powers 3rd brake light.

When both brake lights are on - 3rd light is on.
When either turn signal is on - 3rd brake light is off.

When either turn signal is on and the brakes are applied, the 3 rd brake light comes on and flashes in sync with the turn signal . . . a little strange, but it works.

When installing a 3rd brake light at the top of a cobra trailer (at least the aluminum top version, and probably all) you'll need to make a wedge or spacer so the LED is angled either level or a bit declinated. Otherwise due to the angle of the rear trailer fin, and the relatively narrow LED beam angle, the brake light won't appear all that bright.

I suggested the fin LED light to Spindleburger, along with switching to LED lighting, back a dozen years ago - - he mumbled something about lighting rules in EU.

bumper

Here is a module that will convert US wiring to European:

http://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-...rt/C56196.html

If you just want to add a third stop light ignore the turn signals.

Tom