Old September 5th 07, 08:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Dave Butler

Default Dauntless Safelog - is there a way to export data to CSV format?

Jim Carter wrote:
Could someone using the software address this issue? I posed the
question to "Dauntless", John T., and Bill Zaleski.and the thread went
silent. I'd really like to know because I haven't selected a package
yet.

Not specifically addressing your question, and I'm not a user, but you
made me curious, so I poked around the website a little.

There's a helpdesk at http://www.dauntless-soft.com/helpdesk/

It says: "If you have any questions whatsoever regarding our products,
the status of your order, or need help, please don't hesitate to contact
us by clicking on 'Submit a Question'...".

Is this where you '...posed the question to "Dauntless"'?

In the FAQ there is a question: "How does the Import Functionality Work?"

http://www.dauntless-soft.com/helpde...?ID=671&CATE=3

which discusses importing from a CSV file. It doesn't say anything about
exporting to CSV.

Then there is "Other, or personalized Safelog Data Import/Export Tech
support issues"

http://www.dauntless-soft.com/helpde...ID=2088&CATE=3

which says that support is not free, most problems with import/export
are user errors, and "...it takes us a very long time to investigate
such things... we simply can not be asked to spend many hours on wild
goose chases...", all of which leads me to believe that the user
interface must be complex (based on no experience, just reading the
FAQs). I neither want to go on wild goose chases nor pay someone else to
go. Maybe the instructions are really clear and the customers are just
stupid. If they published the instructions, I could decide whether
that's the case, but they don't.

The advertised price is $64.99 for "at least three year license". I
don't think it's for me, but I can't fault them for not disclosing the
terms. It's just that the terms don't seem very attractive. For that
price I'd want to own the software, not license it.

Just my opinion.

Dave