Old November 22nd 05, 02:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.restoration

Default Why were almost all of them scrapped?

The Goodyear FG Corsairs ran the 4360 as did the Martin Mauler and the
Republic XP-72 until the contract was cancelled just after acceptance
testing. The 4360 was also in the Boeing 377, B-36, B-50 and some others.
There was also the Lycoming 7755 which was 36 cylinders with variable valve
timing. Initial tests indicated 5000 hp with projected top hp of 7000
but... then came the turbines. I think the Smithsonian has the only
remaining example.

"Roger" wrote in message
On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 21:46:14 -0500, vincent p. norris
wrote:

snip

The Jug ran a miserly 80 to 90 gallons per hour at
economy cruise as I recall.

That sounds about right.

I'd like to have one of the tricycle gear Skyraiders. I think most of
those were tail draggers.

I've never even HEARD of an AD that was not a tail dragger. Do you
know if there's a picture of a tricycle gear AD on the net?

I've been searching, but not found any yet. It may just a faulty
memory, but I'm sure I saw one some place.

That thing is huge and had the largest
radial engine we ever used, as far as I know.

I think it was a 3350.

Same engine as on the B-29.

Early versions were 2500 HP and later versions were 2800 HP. How'd
you like to feed that for a trip from coast to coast? All that fuel
with about the same cruse when light (maybe 15,000#?) as a Bonanza..

I believe the 3350 was the largest every used on a single engine
airframe, but here were larger on multi engine planes.

I think there was a 43XX radial that was used
on the Connie or the DC7, but my memory is quite vague on that.

vince norris

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com