Old September 9th 04, 08:59 AM
Peter Twydell

In article , Moose
writes
Hi Peter

The first visit to England took place in the Spring of 1946 when three
aircraft were sent on a training/goodwill visit to R.A.F. Station Marham.
In November 1946, six B-29's deployed to Rhein-main, WestGermany. Strategic
Air Command B-29's commenced regualr deployments to Europe in 1947. During
that year, nine B-29's of the 97th Bombardment Group were based at
Giebelstadt, West Germany for a 30 day training/goodwill tour.

So it could have been the Rhine in the photo.

The first Boeing B-50A's were deployed to England in 1949. They were from
the 43rd Bombardment Group.

The 96th Bombardment Squadron operated the Boeing B-50A out of Lakenheath.
The tail sported at black triangle with a black 'S' in the middle of it.

Which unit used the Triangle V?

Aircraft of the 8th Air Force carried a black triangle on the tail while
those of the 2nd Air Force used a black square

I have other tail codes of U.S.A.F. B-29/KB-29 and B-50 units based in
England from 1947 onwards. I can post them if you want.

That would be interesting.

Cheers...Chris

Thanks, Chris, this is the most information I've seen so far.
--
Peter

Ying tong iddle-i po!