Old October 7th 17, 11:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WhiskyRomeo2

Default Glider near miss with Airliner (emergency climb) near Chicago yesterday?

----ATC needs to recalibrate the risk that they're taking by running heavies through airspace shared with gliders. As others have pointed out, they're likely oblivious to how prevalent gliders are and how hard we are to see and avoid----

I'd say this goes both ways. We as GA glider pilots need to recalibrate the risk we take when operating near Class B and busy Class C airspace. That airspace does not "belong" to us as VFR aviators, it's mutual use see and avoid airspace. You should know the hot spots and avoid them, you should have a transponder (turning it on would be nice), and maybe even talk to or monitor ATC occasionally. Or we can complain to the Feds about heavy metal flying thru "our airspace" until the Feds decide "your right, that is high risk, I'll think we'll double the size of the Class B/C airspace. Thanks for the input glider dude". We are very fortunate to have the airspace access we have here in the good ol USofA. I don't wanna look like Europe.
WR