Old August 12th 03, 03:21 PM
Todd Smith

(Kirk Stant) wrote in message . com...
(Todd Smith) wrote in message . com...
Marc, you are the first person I've heard from who actually likes the
15 minute rule, so the "WE" was only my exposure to the 50 or so

I like the 15 min rule.

Todd Smith
3S

Why? We have tried to explain why we don't like it, with specific
examples of why it is flawed, so would you please explain why you do
like it?

Kirk
66

Kirk,

Fair enough. I won't try to debate point by point your reasons for
dislike, but will describe why I like the 15 min rule.

1) I believe both the analysis and experience that claims that finishing
exactly at the minimum time gives the best score. (for PST's or TAT's)

2) The ability to time a finish to exact time is not what I want scored.

3) The 15 min rule, greatly reduces the effect of 1)

4) The 15 min rule is simple, easy to implement and has no bad side effects.
All other rules that have been proposed are more complicated or have
other bad side effects.

Thats about it for this specific rule. Now let me make a comment about
the possible background for this intense dislike of this rule. Forgive
me if I misconstrue your opinions or reasons. It seems that you dislike
the PST or TAT tasks in general, and since the 15 min rule is designed
to fix a problem with the PST/TAT that you allready dislike, the reaction
is "ARRGGH, stop tinkering with the damn PST/TAT and just let me fly AST !"

Now, I am a new racing pilot, flying a lower performance glider (Grob 102)
in the northeast (weaker, less predictable lift) so I want flexibility
in tasking so I can get home when the day tanks. (I don't usually have crew)
I also want my fellow club members to get home, they don't have crew either.

We should have a long discussion about the goals of racing (as has been
suggested here allready), since the different goals you and I have probably
drive the difference between our desired rules.

Todd Smith
3S