Old February 19th 16, 04:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Home Made Trailers

....Visualizing putting the wing of a LAK-12 into the trailer tip first.
You'd have to have a trained elephant or gorilla to carry the root that
far..,. :'(

On 2/19/2016 1:17 AM, Kevin Neave wrote:
Not wanting to start an argument, but with sensible fittings it makes no
difference whether the wings go in root first or tip first.
(I'm assuming the fus goes in nose first but you may have novel plans).

I have a Discus, root first as the curved leading edge would make tip first
a challenge. My club has a K21, tip first. Both trailers are fairly easy to
load / unload with no heavy lifting.

Make sure whatever fittings you have for the root end (whichever end of the
trailer it ends up) have big wheels so they can simply roll into the
trailer or out of the trailer & up to the glider.

I actually prefer my Shirenewton non-clamshell trailer to the Komet for my
"other" Discus

Regards

KN

At 06:14 19 February 2016, wrote:
The January 2004 issue of Soaring has an article on building an enclosed
tr=
ailer. There's also a short pictorial about building a Schreder type
traile=
r he

http://soaridaho.com/Schreder/Constr...1/Trailer.html

If you build a non-clamshell type, build it big. Most of the

disadvantages
=
of tube trailers disappear if they're built with a little extra room
instea=
d of using the common approach of making them just big enough to contain
th=
e glider. The Soaring article shows a nice sized trailer. One of the

first
=
things that comes up on a search is the Adelaide University Gliding Club
bi=
t on how to build trailers. Ignore that one. They tell you to put the

wing
=
roots and fuselage nose at opposite ends of the trailer. Don't do that
unle=
ss you hate yourself, your back, your glider and all of the friends who
hel=
p you with rigging your ship.

--
Dan, 5J