Old August 28th 18, 08:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor

Default 2019 US Nationals

On Tuesday, August 28, 2018 at 12:58:03 PM UTC-6, Peter Deane wrote:
Tim -

I would guess that there is no intention to break any rules, rather the limiting factor may well be the number of available bids and site suitability.

I'm grateful for the added flexibility right now..

2T

I guess I have trouble understanding the logic.

We have three classes that overlap.

15 and 18 share many of the same gliders
18 and 21 share the many of the same gliders

So if we hold the 15 and open together and the 18M someplace else the 15/18 gliders and the 18/21 gliders can fly in two contests.

We have a contest with all three scheduled, so we move the 15 and leave the 18/Opens at one site. Now the 18/21 glider pilots must choose one class to fly.

If the Site Selection Committee had moved the 18M then both the 15/18 gliders and the 18/21 gliders could choose two contests.

Can Bermuda High not handle 18M gliders but can handle a fully loaded 15M?

We keep asking why the US does so poorly at the worlds? One of the reasons is our pilots don't get to fly enough contest each year. Then we purposely limit the number of contest they can fly?