Old April 3rd 20, 12:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Seminole Lake Glider Port.

I remember getting around 1,300' using an 1.800' straight rope, but that
was on a dry lake bed with practically unlimited distance for the tow
car.Â* My pulley tow had the pulley attached to the back of the tow car.
HERE
https://www.dropbox.com/s/k9a4v2wbg9fok9r/Ground%20Launch.mp4?dl=0 is
raw video of me in my LS-6 during shooting for a program aired on ESPN
back in the 90s.Â* I got a bit enthusiastic near the top of the climb
causing the tug to lose traction.Â* The passenger in the Jeep was Emerson
Fittipaldi, winner of the Indianapolis 500.Â* He was the host of the
show.Â* The opening scene is not me, it's a couple of our members doing a
low pass for the show.

On 4/2/2020 12:11 PM, John Foster wrote:
On Thursday, April 2, 2020 at 11:33:19 AM UTC-6, wrote:
Ive got 1800 ft of spectra and a schweizer towhook mounted on a trailer reciever. The part I need to build is an electric reel for retreaving the line.
Dan

How high do you get with that rig, Dan? I'm interested. I've been pondering a design for a pulley that can be mounted to a trailer hitch receiver to do reverse auto tows. I'm considering a 4,500' length of Dyneema to be used on our 4,800' runway, but I also need to get signed off for ground launches first as well.

--
Dan, 5J