Old July 9th 03, 07:50 PM
Dan Luke

"Sydney Hoeltzli" wrote:
PS I tried drawing a few holding pattern entries by my interpretation
of the method you describe, and I'm afraid I can't make them come
out equivalent to T/P/D.

To hold on the 270 radial, right turns:

Arriving at the fix on a 315 heading, turn left to 270 for one minute, turn
towards the inbound course line, fly back to the fix and commence holding.
This is the same as a parallel entry.

Arriving at the fix on a 135 heading, turn right to 270 for one minute, turn
towards the inbound course line, fly back to the fix and commence holding.
This is the same as a direct entry.

Arriving at the fix on a 225 heading, turn right to 270 for one minute, turn
towards the inbound course line, fly back to the fix and commence holding.
This is the same as a teardrop entry. Yes, it can be "more acute" than a
standard teardrop. Widen out if you think it will be. Situational awareness,
remember?

The only things you have to figure out before before you get to the fix are
which direction is the shortest initial turn to the outbound course and
which side of it will you be on when it's time to turn back to the fix.
Neither of these things requires more than a glance at the heading indicator
and knowing which side of the inbound course you arrived from. No mnemonic
tricks, fingers-on-the-HI or Sporty's whiz-wheels required.
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM