Old May 8th 18, 01:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

Default Spot or InReach ??

On Monday, May 7, 2018 at 4:14:08 PM UTC-7, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
My Spot renewal has come up, but not charged. Called Spot tried to get some info on their new device. Couldn't even find out if one would need a different data plan to access the two-way features. Tried a google search for information on the next gen two-way spot but could not find anything!

Question: if one was to purchase a new tracker which one would you choose and why? I am temped to renew my Spot and run with the Gen3 until the new two-way is released. I like that it (new Spot) has it's own keyboard and screen, but the features are not known. My other option would be to get the InReach mini. However, the InReach plans are set for 10 minute tracking intervals unless you pay $79.95 per month on an annual plan. With the spot plan for $214.95 a year I have 2 minute interval tracking.

No, you will not have 2.5 min tracking, you will have 10 min tracking. To get the 2.5 min tracking, you have to add the Extreme package for another $100 per year, for a total of $325 per year.

Tom