Old November 23rd 16, 02:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Speed Astir flap speeds

On Tuesday, November 22, 2016 at 8:29:53 PM UTC-6, wrote:
I owned a Speed Astir II for many years. N162SS
You actually control cruising airspeed with the flaps.
You trim the plane to fly at 55 knots at 0 flaps.
Then to go fast, dial in negative flaps.
To go slow, dial in positive flaps.

Be warned, if the ship does not have dimple tape or zig-zag strips on the wings it can have a very sharp stall when thermalling at slow airspeeds.

Other than that it was a sweetheart.

In the Speed Astir I flew back in Germany the flap handle was connected to a pointer in the airspeed indicator. Changing flaps let you read the associated best airspeed for that setting. Of course the ship also accelerated - slowed up nicely with moving flaps. Like DrG said: no trim changes needed.
Herb