Old September 27th 12, 11:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peter Scholz[_3_]

Default Optimum thermalling speed display

Am 27.09.2012 19:30, kirk.stant wrote:
On Thursday, September 27, 2012 12:17:38 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I agree with him, why the hell do you need a thermaling speed director, what happened to good-old hand flying the glider and taking pride in the results?

Herb, by that logic, why do you even have an airspeed indicator, or a vario? I've "hand-flown" my glider with the airspeed inop, and with the vario inop (fortunately, not at the same time), and yeah, I can do it, and even go XC if the conditions are good - but that is not the same as actually knowing what the optimum airspeed is for your weight and bank angle, so you can calibrate your "hand"!

My proposal is not for another pointer to stare at while thermalling, but as an indication of what airspeed you should be aiming for (which can vary considerably depending on wingloading and bank angle, as we all know). If your highly calibrated hand agrees, then you don't need to look at the damn thing. But if you have been flying dry for a while, then launch off at 11psf, and have to scratch up early in the day - it would be kinda nice to have that number somewhere so you can avoid scaring all your buddies...

I would still prefer a really good AOA indicator, and be done with the stupid airspeed indicator. Hey, maybe a whistle that sounds at Cl Max!

Kirk
66

Kirk,

look at
http://www.akaflieg-koeln.de/news/ne...-neue-version/

It is in german, but the diagrams should give you an idea how you can
use a string on the side of your canopy as a very simple but reliable
AOA indicator.
--
Peter Scholz
ASW24 JE