Old September 28th 12, 01:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim White[_3_]

Default Optimum thermalling speed display

Two thoughts on this:

1) There is no substitute for practice.
2) If you need a computer for everything you might as well let the computer
fly the glider. Why have the middleman?

At 10:58 28 September 2012, John Roche-Kelly wrote:
Last year I became a syndicate partner in a lovely LS7 (without
winglets). Our panel contains an LNAV which has the optional g
meter and the climb tone changes in lift if the angle of bank is too
great and the glider approaches the stall. Best thermalling speed is
just slow enough for the tone not to change. It is even possible to
change the ballast setting on the LNAV; works for us.

I am always struck by the inability of bloggs to bank at 45 degrees.
The screws on the panel trick works and many are quite surprised
at how steep this feels. They are then even more surprised by how
much the stalling speed goes up!

Tally ho!

John