Old January 4th 18, 11:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kiwi User

Default 1000km flights

On Thu, 04 Jan 2018 13:11:51 -0800, agcatflyr wrote:

Thanks for posting that Kawa interview. Competition dynamics has
definitely changed since the days of Moffat and Reichman. Kawa would be
considered a pussy if he had to race here during the late 70's lol. Its
apparent he prefers short and fast tasks.

He's also evidently rather good at flying large gliders over and around
very big mountains, as my club found out when he visited last year. He
spent some time in Nepal flying an ASH-25 in the Himalayas from Pokara.
Amongst other things, this included following the Kali Gandaki river
through the mountains to Jomoson, on the Tibetan side the range, and back
again. Thats an out and return of just under 200km and almost of it
unlandable. The Kali Gandaki is the deepest river valley in the world. It
runs between Daulagiri (26,800 ft) and Annapurna I (26,500 ft) with the
river at around 8,500 ft where it passes between the peaks.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie