Old November 1st 03, 03:20 AM

Response not crossposted - it's against my religion.

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 11:34:36 -0500, Peter R.
wrote:

And before the flames start, I'm fully aware of the need to be proficient
in flying IFR without the A/P.

Me, too. Once again, the key here is to avoid the warm and seducing arms
of complacency.

Disclaimer: I am instrument rated, but not much more than that; I
haven't flown an IFR flight plan since I got the ticket last year, at
least in a real airplane (I've done a few in Flight Simulator). That
said...

I plan to almost always hand-fly instrument approaches in practice
conditions, other than during training sessions with a CFII to better
understand the autopilot as used in APR mode.

But, if I'm making an approach in actual conditions, without that CFII
in the other seat, I'm probably going to let the autopilot fly the
approach to the MAP/DH or darn near close to that, with me managing the
vertical descent as needed on non-ILS approaches.

Of course, this assumes that I'm proficient in the use of the autopilot
for approach work...

But , if I'm in an airplane that has an AP that I'm not familiar with,
then I'll hand fly it. But in general I'd rather let the machinery keep
me upright and alive as long as possible when I'm Doing The Real Thing -
there's a lot going on then and I'll use every available aid to keep the
workload as manageable as possible.

My ego is OK with that approach (no pun intended). I would rather be
overly cautious and alive than doggedly hand-fly an approach in
marginal conditions.

My .02,

Dave Blevins