Old September 8th 05, 01:05 PM
Steve S

"zatatime" wrote in message
On Wed, 7 Sep 2005 19:46:06 -0400, "Steve S"
wrote:

Registered airplane and myself as "I'll do anything to help" and never
got a call.

Not being negative, just wondering if maybe they have what they can
use for now.

I spoke to the organizers last night. They were able to fly 50 people out
yesterday. The problem has not been the number of volunteer pilots, we
haven't been able to utilize all the pilots we have yet. The problem was
getting to the people who want to get out. FEMA and the Red Cross were
hindering efforts from the get-go. When we finally got in on sunday we
could only get 12 people out of the shelters. On Monday we got 25 and
Tuesday 65. If each airplane load is an average of 3 pax that's only 23 or
so planes. We had more volunteers than passengers.

In addition all this was done with an administrative staff of about 6.
Yesterday the head of the organization met with the La. State Legislature
and they want us to fly more people out. We were working out of the
conference room at Epps Aviation at PDK and the ASA/Delta Connection
Maintenance Hanger at BTR. Epps needed their space back and ASA's break
room is ill-equipped for staging evacuations.

The organization is standing down for a few days to get better organized.
They have another space at PDK that they can use and are now working on
another space at BTR to move to. They also toured New Orleans and may fly
flights out of there.

Keep monitoring the website http://www.vacationrentalsforfamilies.com/ and
just because they haven't called yet doesn't mean they don't need you, it
just means they haven't been able to get to enough people that want to get
out.

Thanks for your help.

Steve S