Old January 7th 18, 05:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WB

Default Debunking the Shock Cooling Myth

On Sunday, January 7, 2018 at 2:51:02 AM UTC-6, wrote:
Le samedi 6 janvier 2018 14:40:13 UTC+1, a Ă©critÂ*:
Shock Cooling: Time To Kill The Myth
RICK DURDEN
[...]
Pilots are discovering that it’s nearly impossible to hit that rate without slamming the throttle shut and diving—which isn’t comfortable for anyone in the airplane. [...]

Well, that's exacly the kind of thing some tug pilots love to do. I even had one dive away before my pupil had time to release. Must be pilots who regret not having been flying Stukas in WWII. But Stukas had dive brakes...

Used to tow behind P1's C-172 in NC. Had one towpilot who loved to split-s the 172 when the glider released. Pull the release, see the whole dirty belly of the 172 as it fell away inverted. Same guy got hauled into court on a noise complaint having to do with waterskiing behind a Republic Seabee.