Old July 18th 03, 01:41 PM
Richard Kaplan

wrote in message ...

where an airport does not already have at least one IAP the environmental

hoops
those designers have to jump through are almost a show-stopper. The EPA

is a
big factor in that one, and they aren't in love with airplanes at that

agency.

Well, you may well be right about that one. Of course, it does put
perspective on the apparent "advantages" we were originally "sold" about GPS
approaches -- I recall reading as far back as 10 years ago about how we
would have "approaches to every airport" and "ILS-type minimums to even
small airports." Well, it seems to be that the reality is that adding a
first approach is very difficult for airports which have none, whereas for
airports with existing approaches the reduction in minimums with a GPS
approach will be minimal if any over the curent portfolio of approaches.
The strongest argument seems to be simply the cost reduction to the
government if they can decommission navaids.

--
Richard Kaplan, CFII

www.flyimc.com