Old September 23rd 05, 03:10 PM
Steve Franklin

I have just been watching 'Executive Decision' on TV and the aircraft was a
Boeing 747. The handle for the landing gear seemed very long and it had a
wheel on the end that look a lot like a roller-blade wheel.

So you are saying the wheel has no function other than to provide an instant
identification to the pilot that it's the gear handle?

Cheers
Steve

"Allen" wrote in message
t...

"Steve Franklin" wrote in message
Hi there..

I have no idea about aviation so excuse me if this is a dumb question.

Why is that on planes the landing gear:

a) has such an unique interface relative to the other avionics. E.g Why
the long handle?
b) What is the purpose of the wheel at the end of the landing gear arm?

Cheers
Steve

What kind of airplane are you looking at Steve? Some gear handles are
only an electric switch that activates a valve and on others the handle
moves the valve itself. The wheel on the end is a symbol of what the
handle does. Flap handles are usually a flat blade. Helps reduce the
accidental gear retraction accident

Allen