Old December 21st 04, 10:56 PM
Jay Beckman

"Bob Gardner" wrote in message
This is an IFR newsgroup, and I assume that everyone is using
black-and-white charts.

Mea Culpa..

I didn't take this into consideration, sorry. I read most of the aviation
newsgroups in order to pick up as much info as possible and I sometimes
forget their specifc focus.

The usual argument against red light is that it washes out detail on
sectionals. The AIM does not give a glowing endorsement of red lighting
and emphasizes the need for white light. Green is a nice alternative. I
never used red light in all my years of flying IFR, but that is just a
personal peccadillo. I found that turning white cockpit and instrument
lighting down to an irreducible minimum worked well for me. I also used
diffused white light to illuminate approach plates.

I haven't done much night flying since my required night training but I
agree with how you do it. I found myself only reaching for a point light
source when I needed to double check something in the A/FD.

I note that the chemical light sticks designed for emergency use glow
green, but that might just be a question of available chemicals.

IIRC, I've seen them in different colors...but mostly the bright green.

Googling "night vision _ green" gets a lot of hits that refer to night
vision goggles. I hope and pray that none of our newsgroupie friends are
using NVGs. That appears to have driven the military to go to green instead
of red.

Bob

Thanks Bob...

In the future, I'll try to be more aware of which group I'm in before I wade
in.

Regards,

Jay Beckman
PP-ASEL