Old November 3rd 09, 09:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jimboffin

Default One or two axles

On 2 Nov, 23:05, Andy wrote:
On Nov 2, 2:52*pm, glider wrote:

*Why have dual axles when a single axle will do the job.
*Is this a need for heavy two placed sailplanes?
*I know twin axles are beasts to wrestle when pushing it around unless
you want to go forwards and backwards.
*Dual axles seem to be relatively popular in the UK.
*Someone out there must have some explanation.
*GA

This was discussed June 17-19 this year under the topic "ASK-21 in
Cobra trailer single or double axle?". My reply follows:

1 axle is better IMHO because:

You don't need 2 axles for load bearing
2 axles = 2x the tires to worry about
2 axle rigs tend to push the tow vehicle around a bit more and can
have funky ride dynamics - especially for small vehicles - at least
in
my antiquated experience
2 axle rigs are a bit tougher to push around by hand
You generally have to pay for a second axle

The only consideration I can imagine is for extremely heavy gliders
(check the tire load limits) or potentially to keep from getting stuck
in very soft fields. *Neither is a sufficient reason to justify all
the negatives. *In the US they were briefly popular in the late 70's/
early 80's but quickly fell out of favor. *You see almost none shipped
this way today.

9B

We were pretty happy that our duo trailer had two axles when one of
them fell off en route to Scotland!