Old December 4th 03, 11:56 PM
Janusz Kesik

To keep the reply short, I'll only say what I was taught when practising
the "wave tow". First, fly low, well below the propwash. Second: be on
the ball all the time - just "show" the spoilers. Not open them, but just
show an inch of them (unless the the line is slack much which needs
opening them fully to avoid collision with the towplane) and when the
line is about to get straight, close them. Finally, you can always use
some sideslip (yaw?) to keep the line straight. This works, and we were
doing things when my hairs went straight up. [for ones who know how
effective are the Junior's airbrakes, I'll say only that full brakes in a
sideslip with controls fully moved were often not enough to manage all
the situations that the Yak pilot had shown us that day.]

Regards,

--
Janusz Kesik

visit