Old December 5th 03, 12:40 AM
Mark James Boyd

In article rjQzb.7929$yf.258@fed1read01,
BTIZ wrote:
We don't spend that kind of money on our weak link... yes.. the rings are
$10-12. the weak link in the rope is cheap..

The end of our rope is a schweizer ring. The weak link assembly
is a weaker 3 foot rope with a tost at one end and a schweizer at
the other. A (strong) carbiner connects one end of the weak link
assembly to the end of the rope (schweizer).
We quickly and easily flip the assembly
depending on tost vs. schweizer tow.

if you are breaking the actual tow rope because the weak link was removed
(violation of US FAR?) you really don't have a knack for slack line
recoveries..

Hmm... 91.309(a)(3) seems to say the weak link is only required
if the rest of the rope isn't between 80% and 200% of max cert
glider weight. As far as having a knack...that's why we train, eh?

We use closer to or more than 200ft of rope.. trying to teach on a 150ft
rope gets real "interesting".

We use between 200-300 ft. I guess 240ft is most common. I do
not envy anyone towing on a 150ft rope.

When our actual rope breaks (not the weak link) on slack line training.. it
was about due to be replaced anyway. Normally the weak link at the glider
end breaks and the instructor is able to save the ring.

This was the case for us as well...a weak point broke the first
time. The second time we assume it broke near the glider
end because that is where most wear occurs in the rope (hookup,
wiffle ball rubbing, etc). But the second time was was not
because the rope was weak, just that that point was the weakEST
part of the rope.

We had a great discussion about doing slack line practice over
unpopulated areas in case the rope breaks with enough left
to drag back and back release.