Old January 31st 15, 04:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default NATS to enable ADS-B transponder functionality for GA

Good points, Andrzej. I would only ask that the altitude be raised to
18,000' (minus 1, of course). Ten thousand feet can get a bit nerve
wracking in the high western desert.

On 1/30/2015 5:18 PM, Andrzej Kobus wrote:
On Friday, January 30, 2015 at 6:31:04 PM UTC-5, WaltWX wrote:
The UK ATC authority, NATS, has implemented a trial with AOPA UK to test a low cost ADS-B out capability. Basically, they are allowing non-certified GPS to interface with the Mode S 1090ES which gives ADS-B out.

Some people have (illegally) tested this with their Trig and other transponders in the U.S and other places:

This is as much as I know...

http://www.nats.aero/news/nats-enabl...-ga-community/

Hope this pans out... and FAA is listening.

Walt Rogers WX

Finally someone with brains made a decision that can benefit GA. I don't understand why we would not do this in US say below 10,000 and outside class C or B. Makes sense, but it is unlikely our bureaucrats will ever take notice. They are busy writing more rules. They are busy preventing rather than enabling.

--
Dan Marotta