View Single Post
Old April 2nd 13, 02:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean F (F2)
external usenet poster

Default PowerFLARM 2.71...WTF?

I am going to have to agree with the frustration being expressed here. I have had my portable for 1.7 years approximately (Uvalde, August, 2011). Like you I am still waiting for the final IGC approved logger function firmware update. Yes, that is a bit "tardy." By the time it is released it will have been nearly 2 years for me. I needed to purchase a Collibri 2 as a backup logger (awesome unit by the way!)

That said, I have experienced first hand the PowerFlarm protecting me (and the other pilots) from numerous very possible collisions. One I honestly feel would have absolutely happened without Flarm. We we dead to rights, I got a warning, dove out of the way and he never moved or made any turn. Sobering to think about but a reality of flying. 1:1,000,000 does happen eventually. And in gliders its probably more like 1:10,000.

I strongly believe that PowerFlarm greatly improves glider safety as we glider pilots always head to the same places and fly the same path's, often opposed. Regardless of if we are racing or fun flying. I think it is worth every penny of the price.

I think we should be mindful of the importance of this primary PowerFlarm goal: collision avoidance. We should make sure that we restrain ourselves from injuring the company's reputation so much as to impede adoption of others considering a PowerFlarm purchase. I think it's more important to praise PowerFlarms almost magical (just as advertised) capability to call out traffic in conjunction with any criticism of the approved logger function delay.

I think PowerFlarm is critical to improving general glider - tow aircraft safety and as ADS-B continues to roll out, a broad adoption of PowerFlarm within the USA from glider pilots will become increasingly important in preventing general airplane / glider collisions.

I thank PowerFlarm for stepping forward, taking the risks to develop this product and for delivering a FCC approved Flarm product in the USA that works extremely well.

Regardless of the tardiness on the logger, I give you guys an A+.

Thank You.

Now hurry up with that logger update :-)!

Sean
F2