Old April 22nd 08, 06:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
BobR

Default ZZZ Rocket Racer LeagueZZZ

Harry K wrote:
On Apr 22, 5:59�am, ChuckSlusarczyk
wrote:
In article , Ron Wanttaja says...

On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 14:10:07 -0700, John Ousterhout
wrote:

Better define "Race," Filbert...two planes chasing each other, like the fake
Reno races at Oshkosh? �Or an actual competition where the winners aren't
pre-programmed?

According to Wikipedia, the race course is at 1,500 feet, following a
computer-generated course. �Funny thing is, five minutes worth of clicking on
the RRL site didn't lead to a description that even gave THAT much information.
Until you find out what RRL's definition of a "race" is, I wouldn't place any
bets.

Hmmm perception and reality at work here? The zoom touch is alive and well
LOL!!!

Did find this picture on the RRL site, which is a real howler:

http://www.rocketracingleague.com/ga...s/images/runwa....

Note how the runway is just two wingspans wide, and the grandstands are RIGHT at
the runway edge. �We're finally seeing the results of Campbell's input. :-)

That certainly isn't FAA's idea of a "crowd line" try having an airshow with the
crowd line so close to the action...NOT!! more perception and reality problems.

Each race (again, according to Wikipedia) is supposed to last 90 minutes, with
the planes carrying four minutes of fuel. �World record for a rocket pit stop is
something like three hours. �Even if they get that down to 15 minutes (including
the time to tow the plane to the fuel station and back to the runway), that's
STILL a lot of gliding time.

I can hear the race announcer now ." Ladies and gentleman the race is on and see
that imaginary race course in the sky ? See how many of you can tell who's
winning the race OOOPPPS time for a pit stop while the action switches to the
pits for refueling.
While they're purging the tanks and doing a pre cool now's the time to go for a
dinner and visit of our sales mall.There you can enjoy a sit down meal and
dancing while the kids buy overpriced rocket models and play �in the game room.

After dinner and dancing return to your seats for the exciting conclusion of the
ROCKET �RACING's First heat.Thrills ,chills and excitement await us as the
Racers try to start their engines and OOOPPS we had a flame out ...Time to visit
out inhouse theater and watch an exciting movie staring the hero of stage screen
and Tv as he stars in the exciting movie the "Amazing Adventures of Capt Zoom
hero of the Universe".

While the refueling continues the Burbank RC Flyers will do a demonstration of
pylon racing with REAL model pylon racers.Now that's racing �folks...While we're
waiting for the Pylon Racers to show up .Take a visit to our .....

I can hardly wait....

Chuck S RAH-14/1 ret

That is just about my opinion of this pipe dream from the day I first
heard about it. It is running on what? 2 years? 3 years? now and no
progress that I have heard about, no planes flying that have been
reported in the news...

Bottom line? Don't hold your breath folks.

Harry K

Could we ask ZOOM to hold his breath while we wait? BFG