Old December 22nd 06, 08:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Roger[_4_]

Default Tanis heaters

On 22 Dec 2006 05:09:53 -0800, "cpw" wrote:

I live in northern lower Michigan where we have real winters some years
(not this one yet). My partner and I own a 2000 Cessna 182. We are
currently debating the proper use of the Tanis engine heater. It has
been our practice in the past to plug the heater in after a flight and
leave it plugged in until the next. We have heard lately that best
practice is to only use the heater for a few hours prior to flight.
Any opinions among other owners in cold climes?
Thanks. CPW

I'm a bit south of you but probably not by much (Midland)

I have both the case and cylinder head heaters. I have a blanket that
wraps everything forward the windshield save the prop and nose gear
but even a portion of them is protected.

If I'm flying much I just wrap it up and plug in the heater when I put
it in the hangar. The engine never gets cold enough for condensation.
I check for that by looking at the top of the dip stick. If I don't
put the blanket on I'll see moisture on the stick, however I doubt
there's any in the oil or engine proper as that is quite a bit warmer
even without the blanket.

The oil companies *used* to say only use the heater when needed. The
last bulletin I read suggested keeping the engine warm if it could be
kept warm enough to prevent condensation.

However if I wasn't going to fly for a couple of weeks I'd leave it
off as the "cling" is pretty much gone after a couple of weeks.

Here it is near the end of the year and I've not found it necessary to
even use the heater so far.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com