Old October 15th 18, 07:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Retting

Default Towrope tensions....Part II

Well, I said ‘during tow’ thinking that would cover beginning to end. I need to determine the attachment strength for a tow hook on a towplane.
What might rope tension be from initial roll in grass (thinking start will be highest). I thought maybe testing was done years back and a chart or data existed.
Years ago back when I was teaching at Schweizer, the topic came up and less than 300#, towing the 2-32, 3 adults, behind a 180 Supercub was agreed by Paul and a couple of engineer types. I took it as gospel, but have wondered over the years how close they were.
Now I am really curious.
My previous thread got off track into formulas, winch launching, and pitch angles.
The info provided so far seems encouraging. I thought it might be higher.