Old August 15th 03, 02:06 AM
Bob Gardner

Well, I've graduated a lot of students over the years, and to the best of my
knowledge none of them has ever had a landing accident. Normal landings are
full-flap landings, even in a crosswind...minimum touchdown speed is the
key, with anti-xwind controls. Page 5-24 of my Warrior book ("Landing
Performance") is predicated on full flaps, power off, and max braking. The
chart is NOT labeled "short field landing." Page 4-14, under normal
procedures for approach and landing, hedges a bit...still calls for full
flaps and 63, but allows as how enough power should be carried to maintain
the desired speed and approach path (no argument there). No mention of
crosswind technique, but when Boeing Field had a 60 degree xwind at 15-20
knots or so I would call my students and say "Come on down....we're gonna do
some full-flap crosswind landings."

You can do lots of things in a low-wing airplane that would be questionable
in a high-wing airplane.

Did I mention that I was an examiner when I worked at the Piper FBO?

Bob Gardner

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
My Warrior book says 63 knots, but who's counting? Why not full

flaps????
have a zillion hours instructing in Cherokees/Warriors and I can't

remember
ever teaching a student to use two notches for landing.

The only time to use two notches is (a) in strong cross winds or (b) in
squirrelly high winds.

While it's not necessary, two notches give you a flatter, slightly faster
approach that lets you "bust through" the cross wind or wind shear a bit
better than the steeper, slower full-flaps approach...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA