Old August 15th 03, 02:50 AM
Roger Halstead

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 07:19:48 -0500, Nick Funk
wrote:

Speed control is the key factor for stabilized approach and landing any
plane. With the Warrior I cross the numbers at a speed no greater then
70 knots, and usually try for 65 knots with 1 or 2 knotches of flaps.
This will keep floating to a minimum. If you need a little more time to
stabilize after the flare, than give yourself a few more extra knots of
speed.

I used to fly a Cherokee 180. I always used full flaps and never had a
problem with float. With full flaps that sucker comes down like a
brick. I'd apply the last notch of flaps in the roundout., unless it
was a short field and then it was full flaps coming down a *steep*
final.

Any float is a sign of too much speed.

I used to rent planes and switching from a C-152, C172, C-182 and
Warriors or Cherokees (hersey bar wing) gave me the opportunity to learn
the different idiosyncrasies of landing each plane. I miss that now
since I own a Cherokee 180 now.

I loved that old Cherokee 180. Climbed great and could land in a
pretty short distance. It was light enough with enough power it could
get into and out of some pretty small grass strips.

The only problem I ever had was cleaning the green goo off the wing
from a few tall weeds here and there.

www.rogerhalstead.com
N833R World's oldest Debonair? (S# CD-2)

Nick
PA-28-180 'D'

snip